Thursday, September 30, 2010

Balmain vs. Isabel Marant. Conspiracy?

isimb I'm a huge fan of Isabel Marant, so I thought it was very interesting that I saw pretty much the same thing at Christophe Decarnin's Balmain this Spring 2011. Marants collection this Fall 2010, was very 50's reminiscent, but I saw the same thing at Balmain, the red jeans, the fitted leather jackets, the shoes!, and the cuff/fit of the jeans that walked down the runway. Is it me or am I just seeing something funny? Coincidence? Plus, how long can Decarnin keep up with the padded, sharp shoulders (not saying his dresses aren't fab)?

Straight from NYMAG:

Cathy Horyn isn't feeling it:

"The clothes were great for showing off the models’ long bodies, and so will produce sexy photographs, but punk is now a style cliché. That Balmain is one of the most expensive labels, with a plain undershirt (without holes) costing around $450, makes the notion of a safety-pinned jacket something of a joke — and not even a very clever one."

Take a look for yourself and let me know what you think:

Isabel Marant's Fall 2010 collection here
Christophe Decarnin for Balmain Spring 2011 collection here

I can't wait to see what Marant comes up with this season. I get a lot of Kate Moss when I see her collections, because everything is so chic, cool, and effortless like Kate. I hope not everything is gone at work so I can at least see Marant's Fall 2010 collection in person!

No comments:

Post a Comment