Tuesday, October 5, 2010

It only gets better. part two

In an attempt to advocate against bullying and suicide, here are some new videos I came upon after the string of suicides. It's great to see a lot publicity and change on this issue now, but where was it years ago? Although I'm glad to see celebrities take apart against this massive issue, to me it is unfortunate that it took this string of suicides to really trigger action. Then again, when a problem consistently gets bigger and bigger, I guess you can't help but try and take action when it's blasted all over the media.




Recently, Jeanine Blanchette, 21, and Chantal Dube, 17 were found dead after an overdosed of prescription drugs; the girls had been together since February and although their families said it was mental health problems that drove them to kill themselves, I still can't believe they turned to suicide as an answer. I wonder if there were any signs of her mental health problems and if they were doing anything about it?

On campus, the LGBTQ communities and organizations have rallied up to talk about the recent suicides. A lot of them plan to brainstorm and come up with actions against bullying. This week is filled with candle light vigils and I hope to attend one of them. Young people, male or female, straight or gay, white or black, DO NOT NEED TO DIE. I hope teens across America being to understand that suicide is not the answer and that bullying is just wrong. The young people of America are our future!

No comments:

Post a Comment